A little knowledge

So I removed a USB stick while it was still writing changes to the stick, it ended up breaking the FAT table. When I re added the stick it was read only (ro) :-(

Of course I tried a fsck which showed up the errors on the stick but would not fix it because it was Read Only...

So on my ubuntu 9.04 I installed GParted, right clicked on the drive and selected "Check", it ran the check after telling me it was going to unmount it for me. Next time I removed and added the drive it was working perfectly again.

While I knew a little it would have been nicer if the linux mount software (I think its Udev) had realised there was a problem an offered to fix it for me... It knew enough to log the problem.

Popular posts from this blog

Windows Server and the Task Scheduler Error Code 0x3

The living wage failure

IDE's and speed