Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so in Chromium or Chrome

This morning I finally set down to figure out something that has been bugging me for nearly a year.

Using Chromium on my ubuntu PC I would get a long pause when starting Chromium before a webpage would show, then after about 3 minutes the browser would work and continue as normal. For ages I thought it was this error:


[6684:6705:0623/065957:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(624)] Failed to get name owner. Got org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Could not get owner of name 'org.chromium.Mtpd': no such name
[6684:6705:0623/065957:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(624)] Failed to get name owner. Got org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Could not get owner of name 'org.chromium.Mtpd': no such name
[6684:6684:0623/065957:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(529)] Failed to call method: org.chromium.Mtpd.EnumerateStorages: object_path= /org/chromium/Mtpd: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.chromium.Mtpd was not provided by any .service files



It said error (instead of a warning) so I assumed it was the cause of the problem. However after looking over the message I got after the browser sprung to life I saw this:

Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Bingo!

Turns out Chromium is trying to load a video driver for a graphics card I replaced nearly a year ago...

Removing all references to libvpdau from my system using synaptic cured the problem. Woohoo!

This has been a public service announcement.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Windows Server and the Task Scheduler Error Code 0x3

The living wage failure

IDE's and speed